Saturday 8:00 A.M.
Saturday 5:00 P.M. (Vigil) 7:00 P.M. Portuguese
Sunday 7:30 A.M., 9:00 A.M., 10:00 A.M. (Spanish), 11:15 A.M., 12:30 P.M. (Portuguese)
Weekdays 8:00 A.M. (English) In the San Damiano Chapel -
Wednesdays 7:30 P.M. (Portuguese)
First Fridays 8:00 P.M. Portuguese
Holy Days Vigil Mass at 7:00 P.M. on the evening before. (English) 8:00 A.M. (English) 12:10 P.M. (English) & 7:00 P.M. (Spanish)
9:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. and 1:00 P.M. to 5:00 P.M.
No office hours on Holy Days of Obligation
HORAS DE OFICINA Lunes a Viernes
9:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. Y 1:00 P.M. to 5:00 P.M.
We ask that you please make an appointment ahead of time if you would like to speak with a priest.
Reverend Jose Carlos da Silva
Reverend Roberto Cadavid
Monsignor Austin P. Bennett, P.A.
Fernando E. Luces
Director of Religious Education
Madge Di Pippo
Directors of Music
Ken St. Bernard
THE HISTORY OF ST. RITA PARISH – LONG ISLAND CITY, N. Y.
That section of Long Island City near the East River, between the Queens-
The present Church at 36-
The Missionary Servants of the Most Blessed Trinity, labored industriously and zealously in catechizing the children, taking the census, and social work, from the 1930’s until 1952. a convent was built for them by Father Pasquale Roberto in 1939 at a cost of $24,048. This convent is now used as a Rectory.
The population, which numbered 4,000 in 1938 has gradually increased, and now there are more than 7,500 parishioners. This increase is due chiefly to the building of the Queensbridge, Ravenswood and Queensview City Projects, all of which are in St. Rita’s Parish. The boundaries of the parish extend from Vernon Boulevard to 23rd Street, and from Broadway to 43rd Avenue.
Foreseeing the increase of population, Father John M. Porazzo began the construction of a school in 1950. This school was constructed at a cost of $563,000, and contains eight classrooms, a kindergarten and a large auditorium with a capacity of 1,000 people.
The auditorium is used for Masses on Sunday. St. Rita School on 36th Avenue and 12th Street was opened September 1952, and the Sisters of St. Joseph were assigned to teach the children. A large playground was built next to the school in 1952.
In July, 1953, Father Porazzo was named Pastor of St. Francis of Paola Church in Brooklyn, and Father Joseph Di Marco succeeded him as Pastor of St. Rita’s. Father
Di Marco is assisted by Father Anthony J. Praitano, and Father Nicholas J. Russo.
Pastors: Rev. Thomas F. Gronen, 1895-
Parish Societies: Holy Name; rosary-
The NEW CHURCH was built and completed in 1966.